Monday, January 17, 2011

"You're the best definition of good intention..."

Hello everyone!

New semester:
The new semester is in full swing. Unfortunately the first week of classes started off...well, icy. The first three days of classes were cancelled for the most part because of bad weather. We had some ice to come across the area which made driving dangerous. Aside from that, my classes seem to be going well! However, I have yet to have my first day of supreme court and public policy! My professor had to cancel classes last week due to a family emergency. I sure hope everything is all right and things are looking up for her and her family.
This semester I'm taking 16 hours and I'm honestly looking forward to all of my classes except for statistics. That was one that I was forced into. You know, the "don't take it, don't graduate" type situation. This class is going to be a struggle for two main reasons. One, I don't speak number; two, I don't speak Chinese. This semester all of the statistic classes are being taught by graduate students. However, none of the undergrads enrolled in the courses were aware of this until the first day of class. Of course, I would have the graduate student who is from a Chinese background. He seems to be a really nice guy and very smart, but I'm having trouble with his accent. I've found it very hard to understand him. I've also noticed he is having trouble understanding us. I can only imagine the look on his face when he has to converse with me the first time. Let's just say, I've got a heck of a southern accent according to others from different areas across the state. Despite the challenges I will face in this class, I'm determined to do well. Therefore, I'm prepared to work my absolute hardest.  Another class I'm excited about is my PE class, self-defense! I feel as if this class will be a good work-out, but very beneficial. Unfortunately, crime rates are out of this world in today's society; so, I feel as if this class will help me protect myself better in any given situation. Hopefully, I won't ever have to use the stuff I learn in this class. My daddy is very pleased that I've chosen this class to take as my PE!

Future confusion:
If you haven't noticed by now, I'm one of those anal people who has to have a plan. Yes, I will admit it. I'm anal! It's one of the many flaws that I possess. It seems as if every semester I question whether I'm in the right major, what I'm supposed to do when I grow up, where's this journey taking me? I realize that God has a beautiful plan for my crazy life and by trusting him with everything I'm sure to end up where I'm supposed to be. However, I'm also impatient. Therefore, this uncertainty is killing me! Last semester I considered switching into English. Now, I'm just questioning all sorts of things!? I've been taking the online tests the career center at my university suggests. They've helped a tad bit and have provided me with a bit of reassurance. Everyone I've taken has suggested something along the lines of politician/public administration and social work. WELLL...let's see, last year I debated pretty heavily to switching to social work. So, I'm back at that. Regardless of what my major is my career goal is to impact lives. When my journey comes to an end I want to know that I've impacted someone's life. Then and only then, will I feel as if I've lived a satisfactory life. With this goal, I will be able to accomplish it through both public administration and social work. However, they are very different. Do I want to work with the individual or do I want to create and implement policies that help protect the community? Oh dear...

Below is a one of my favorite artists: Lady A
"I Run to You"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love reading them! :)