Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Send them your heart, so they'll know that someone cares. So, their cries for help will not be in vain."

Hey y'all!

Ok, so it's been a few days since I've posted and I've wanted to, but I just didn't know what to write about. Then a few minutes ago it hit me. As I've mentioned in a previous post my dad has gone to Bangladesh to help train police officers and better police departments; he's doing well and seems to be enjoying his time. Thank you for your prayers.

Anyway, before class today my friend, Megan, and I were talking and she asked me how dad was and about his trip. As we started talking, I started mentioning some of the pictures he has sent me and the struggles the people of Bangladesh are facing. As the conversation progressed, I've realized how much I've been thinking about the poverty of the country and the world. Christmas is just around the corner and it's the time of the year that charities such as Operation Christmas Child are picking up. So many children and families won't have a Christmas dinner or Christmas gifts under a beautiful Christmas tree. Yet, these families face these problems year round and what's being done about it? Although it's admirable thing what the charities, missionaries, and other organizations such as ICITAP (the company my dad is working for) are doing, is it enough? One of my dad's pictures was a line of people waiting for free rice. Fortunately the government of Bangladesh was able to provide that, but is it enough? Will it feed everyone?  It's hard for me to comprehend that I have so much, that we have so much, and other people are STARVING. Then I ask, why me? Why have I been so blessed, yet others are struggling? God is good. I've lived a blessed life and God has provided my family with so much and continues to do so every day. Now, it's my turn to give back. Seeing  and becoming more aware of the suffering people go through makes me want to drop everything and just go help in anyway I can.  I've chosen to go into political science for numerous reasons, one of which is because I want to help people. I want to give back to the community. Hopefully, when I'm through with my education I can land a job with the government that allows me to give back.

In the mean time, I ask that you help by praying for the people of the world and your country. After all, we all need a little help sometimes, some just need it more than us.

Here is the picture daddy sent me of the people in line for free rice.









Here is the "We Are The World 25 for Haiti" video; I feel like it's very appropriate for this blog and it has a great message.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie - what a great post and such a timely reminder. There are so many of us - who have so much - and others - so very little - life can be so hard.
    I want to keep these thoughts tucked in my heart today as I go to work - even within my own school community - many of the kids I work with live in mansions - and others make weekly visits to the food bank.

    Open our eyes Lord - to see Jesus
    and to see those around us - as You would see them!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love reading them! :)